Thursday, August 02, 2012

02/08/2012: olympics

The reason why I’m so tired today...

I went to the Olympics! Yes, yesterday we went to the Olympics to see two games of hockey. I had to wake up at 5:30am and we all had to leave at around 6:30, and we got to the Olympic park at around 7:30.

The Olympic Park is so beautiful and big! The main stadium is massive up close, and there are so many others dotted all around the place. There were crowds and crowds of people, a massive queue to the biggest Macdonald’s in the world and shouting and screaming coming from some of the stadiums every now and then. The atmosphere was amazing. When we got there, the park had only just opened, and the only people going in were the ones that, like us, were going to see the Hockey as it was the first event of the day. The security is just like at the airport but a lot faster, and there were random people with foam hands pointing the way to go. Everyone was so excited, especially the Americans we spotted!

When we got there we were amazed at how big it was. It literally takes 20 minutes or more to walk from one end to the other. Hockey is at the Riverbank Arena so we followed the signs and once we got here we were again amazed at the size of it. The staff were really friendly and showed us to our seats. We got there when the stadium wasn’t even half full and the hockey teams were warming up. It was funny hearing the Spanish team speaking Spanish to each other.



Hockey is actually really entertaining and I definitely think it’s good as or better than football. We got to see two games over four hours. The first was Spain v Australia. I was obviously supposed to support Spain, but 90% of everybody in the stadium were supporting Australia and around about the 0-3 mark I may have sneakily changed sides. The end score was 0-5 (Australia winning). The second game was Belgium v Netherlands, with us supporting the Netherlands. Half of the people were supporting Belgium and half Netherlands really, and the end score was 1-3 (Netherlands winning). There were lots of Mexican waves around the stadium, and the best was five in a row! I had so much fun.




It’s funny because I hate Sport with a burning passion. I groan at the start of a day when I realise I have P.E. I can’t hit a ball to save my life and the only thing I really seem to be good at is long jump or maybe cross country. I couldn’t do well in anything else even if I was offered a lifetime supply of chocolate (which would be very tempting). The thing is with the Olympics is that you can enjoy Sport without any physical exertion and you can judge athletes however you like because you know you don’t have to go up and do it yourself. J

After the hockey we decided to have lunch in Macdonalds. Did I realise it’s the biggest one in the world? There was a queue all down the side of the building and a queue up to the door once inside at every till. The queue actually moved quite fast though and we only had to wait for 15 or 20 minutes. Once we had our food it was really hard to find a table, and after 10 minutes we finally spotted one and ran there as fast as we could.



We then decided to have a walk around. We spotted the BBC studio which is basically a glass box on top of a temporary building, but you can’t see in very well from the outside. HELEN SKELTON also walked past us! I was the only one who spotted her and was so surprised I forgot to take a photo or say “OMIGOD YOU’RE THAT PRESENTER!” as loud as I could. Oh well, maybe it’s just as well I didn’t. We walked right through the garden part of the park which is just beautiful. There’s wildflowers everywhere and hills and a massive screen that shows the main Olympic event going on live. When we went to see the screen, there were hundreds or maybe thousands of people watching it… those dots behind it are even more people, the side that we were on was quiet compared to the other.



We then did some wandering around and stood next to the Velodrome for a bit. It’s massive.



We got home at 5:30pm, and I was so tired. That was my day yesterday. I had such a great day and if you haven’t been to the Olympics yet, speak to your parents because there are still some tickets on sale that you can buy and pick up on the day.

So that’s about it for this post! The only thing I have to report today is Ruby posted a couple of tweets on my account so I did major paypack by hacking into her Twitter and changing her profile photo, background, name and bio to very attractive pictures and bits of writing. Um… hehe. Sorry my Ruby Dooby, I meant it as a joke, and went kind of far with it. J

Oh, and I’ve discovered the Youtuber Meekakitty. She’s so cool, check her out :D

~Sofia

One of Meekakitty's collab music videos, which helped me discover the band hellogoodbye today. This is my favourite song by them out of all the ones I've listened to so far.
It's so cute. :D I would also check out her video "How to get a boy to like you", it's so funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment